Monday, July 9, 2007

Snow, Movies, Thongs

Excuse the spelling on these posts, I can´t get used to this keyboard.

It´s snowing here, everyone is freaking out about it. I guess they don´t see it that often. They keep asking me if I´m cold, I say, ¨No. Soy de Chicago. Es nada.¨

I´m understanding far more than when I got here, and for the most part I´m even thinking in Spanish now.

We were assinged tutors a couple days ago. Mine is named Gugu, 25, you guys would love her, we´ve been hanging out everyday. She´s a singer in a local band and nvited me to a show two nights ago, I showed up with a couple friends and we had a ball. My first drink in Argentina was a shot of Tequilla, talk about starting off right. The nightlife here is crazy. No one shows up at bar before 1AM, and no one leaves before 5AM.

When I travel, it always surprizes me to see the extent of American influence. Everyone here knows Brad Pitt, Jonny Depp, Madona, Fall Out Boy, any American stars are famous here too. The movies in theaters right now include Transformers, and Shrek the Third. Everyone watches Lost, Greys, The Office, and Arrested Development with Spanish subtitles. It´s kind of sad. It´s like these coutries are losing their individual identities because we are powerful enough to market our products and stars all over the world. France put a limit on how many American movies they allow into theatres per year. I think it´s a great idea. Now France produces beautiful films becuase their arts are well funded by the government and they don´t have to compete with American cinema.

Tid Bits:

Someone heard me signing along to the song ¨Stacy´s Mom¨ and asked me if it was by Phil Collins.

Bought a pair of shoes today for 10 bucks, a pack of cigs for a dollar, and I took a cab ride across the city for 5 bucks.

Argentine television is crazy. I´ve never seen so many women with so little clothing. I saw a man in a thong do a dance to the Matrix theme song, and I don´t know why, but I wished Emily would have seen it with me. I could almost hear her cracking up as I was watching this.

Photos: My dog, and my house.

Chau for now.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right you are! hahahaha I'm at work and bisically crying right now from laughing so hard.....

-Em