Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Planning, Opera, Hot Dogs

This weekend I am taking 16 of my friends to Mendoza, a beautiful city about 10 hours away, way up in the mountains, for skiing and wine tasting. The best wine in the Americas is there. I´ve been planning this trip for the past 3 days and I can´t wait to go. I´m so stoked!

My Tango is getting better. I´m still not confident enough to actually go out to a tango club yet. Give me a week.

I saw an opera for the first time two nights ago. Don´t knock it ´till you´ve tried it right? Good. Well now I can knock it. The show is called Aida, and it was overwhelming to hear how talented the singers were. I mean really incredible. But here´s my beef with opera. I don´t feel that it´s a effective way to tell a story. In an opera you never see what is actually happening, you never see the story. It´s really difficult to stage fight scenes or love scenes when the characters have to be singing the whole time. So instead of actually seeing the fight, there will be a scene with two characters sining about a fight that just happened. So you never actually watch the story, you just see people singing about the story. Not my cup of tea. It is something that I think everyone should try though. At some point in your life, go see an opera.

Moving on to less classy subjects: Saturday night was a fucking shit show. An absolute three ring circus. Here´s the deal, when you are surrounded by only 20 kids that speak your language and you are with them all every single day, roumors spread faster than they do during 9-10 lunch at South. It´s nuts. Everyone is talking about the hook ups, the fights, who likes who, who hates who, who is cheating on someone else, yadda yadda yadda. And although I´ve tried to keep my distance, I am a little involved in the mess too. Meh. Fuck it. What happens in Córdoba stays in Córdoba.

Funny story, I´m at this bar with my friends and I start talking to this guy, turns out he´s my friend´s brother who´s lived in Córdoba all his life. We end up leaving together at the end of the night and we decide to grab some food on the way home. He tells me he knows the perfect place, and takes me to this hot dog stand. And you have to understand, that a hot dog is hard to come by in Argentina. This may very well have been the only hot dog joint in the city. Then while were there he tells me that one day he wants to take me to Walmart, and announces proudly that there IS a Walmart in Córdoba. And I think to myself, ¨Hrmm. Hot dogs. Walmart. I wonder what other American stereotypes he associates with me.¨

Random Rant:

I am not dating Steve Jacobson. I find myself having to explain this fact very often. No matter where I am in the world. It follows me. I´d say at least once a week at Ithaca I have to convince someone that Steve and I are not together. Same thing in Glenview as well. If I ever bump into any one I haven´t seen in a while it´s always like, ¨Oh how have you been Christina, and how´s Steve, you two are still dating right?¨ Here in Córdoba I´ve been making new friends so they´re all Facebooking me and there´s been some confusion due to my photo. So I´ve had a bunch of people here ask me about it recently, and I explain again and again that I am not dating Steve Jacobson.

Tid Bits:

I´ve been cell phoneless for 10 days now. Imagine. Me. Without a cell phone. For 10 days. (Char is stunned right now if she´s reading this.) And ya know what, I haven´t missed it. I´m actually ok.

I keep finding cigarette butts in our shower.

Brazillian break dance fighters rock my world.

I did alright on my midterm. Yay.

Gregg I am going to respond to your comment in another comment below yours.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

I think we need to make a global announcement to inform the world of our non-existent relationship status. I have to say though, I think it's fucking hilarious that people still think we're dating when your not even in the same country.

Gregg said...

I'm glad to hear that you are involved in the baby momma drama in Argentina. Situations like that only make life more interesting. as long as you are a part of them, and not the center! Being the center of attention is always good, but not necessarily when it's involving relationships and such!!! lol. now that I am totally random… As for your cultural experience, it is nice to see that you went to the opera. I could have told you how they work, as I have been to at least one myself, and similarly to you, I'm not a fan. NO CELL PHONE?! You, not having a cell phone and not going crazy is just as likely as me not smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day! lol

How do cigarette butts keep ending up in your shower? Are you putting them there?

When you say "alright" in reference to your midterm grade, what exactly does that mean? And…was that for horseback riding or another class? Also, what classes are you taking out there?!

Also...It looks like Christina has an Argentinean Suitor. Sounds like he wants to take the American chick (girl, young woman, woman, and whatever other politically correct ways there are to say female – obviously excluding 'chick') to all of the places that would make her comfortable (or remind her of home!) And it seems to be the same in Argentina as it is in the US…Always take all the classy girls to Wal-Mart! Sounds like he likes you! all I can say is ooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo). (yes, I know, I'm super mature)

I like how you respond to my comments! lol. I will keep sending them, as I need to do something at work!