Excuse me. I need to vent.
Being female in Argentina is not the easiest thing in the world. In fact it kind of sucks. Argentina is famous for it´s machismo culture - basicaly they feel that women are objects who don´t have the mental capacity to do anything other than cook and clean. Only recently have women in Argentina pursued roles other than homemaker and mother. I hate walking down the street alone, no matter what time of day it is. Cat calling is huge here. I decided to keep a tally of how many disgusting comments were yelled at me on my way to school the other day. The grand total was 24. It´s a 25 minute walk to school. It´s attention that I don´t want and it´s gross. I usually just pretend I don´t hear them.
The machismo culture manifests itself in many ways. Last night I was walking through a club and a guy grabed my waist and wouldn´t let me go. I elboed him really hard in the chest and he was completely unrelenting. I finally shoved him as hard as I could and ran.
When I go out with my firends, I just want to hang out with them. I´m not looking to get picked up. I want to go home and sleep in my own bed, ALONE. I have developed a strategy to get rid of guys who hit on me. First I tell them ¨Tengo un esposo,¨ (I have a husband) and I show them the ring that Emily gave me from Russia. Then they usually reply ¨Es una cosita,¨ (It´s a little thing, it doesn´t matter.) So I reply, ¨No, esta aca,¨ (No, but my husband is here.) That´s when they tend to back off. If the guy is still persistant I try and grab one of my guy friends and tell him that he needs to act like my husband for a minute. The guys in our group are used to it so we play house for a bit. However I had one guy last night who, even after all this, was still trying. That´s when I turn to him and say, ¨¿Fumes?¨ (Do you smoke?) and I hope to god he says no. In this case it worked and then I lit up a cigarette right in front of him. It´s the biggest turn off in the world. It´s a very simple international truth: If you´re a non-smoker, you don´t want to kiss a smoker. The guy left after my second drag.
Tid Bits:
It´s quite common when you are meeting a man and his wife that the man will intruduce himself like this: Hello I am Roberto, and this is my woman.
Now I´m going back to bed.
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I'm sorry to hear that you are having such bad luck with the men. lol. good plan with the husband talk. I am sad to hear that you are back to the Camel Lights again. I never thought I would be able to say this, but I am no longer a slave to R.J. Reynolds Tobacco products, including the Camel Family of brands. I thought u were done when u got croup.
You quit smoking!?!? Wow. I think my smoking habits doubled when I was with you. Haha. I quit for a while. Then I started again. Then I quit. Then I unquit. Basically I have no desire to quit whatsoever. And the only reason I was quitting is cause all my friends were giving me shit. And that´s not a good reson to do anything. So I´ll quit when I´m ready.
So happy that the ring could be put to good use! When the guys say "it's just a little thing," you should punch them in the cock, because that's what I'd like to think that the Russian Orthodox nuns that made the ring would do.
xo,
Emily
Post a Comment