Saturday, December 1, 2007

Altitude Sickness

Sigh....oh life.

OK second day in Arequipa was very cool. We went out to the countryside for a bit and saw a whole different side of Peruvian life. Then took my uncle out for dinner and drinks to thank him for everything. We got to talking and I found a lot out about my family that I never new before. Much more to think about. Anyways, we spent one more night in Arequipa and barely made our bus to Puno, Peru this morning. After a bus ride from hell, we got to Puno around 2. We check in to a hostal and head out to Lake Titicaca for the day. We went to two man made floating islands. MOST DISAPPOINTING TOUR EVER. It seemed like they we´re more interested in sucking money out of us than actually educating us about the culture. Which kind of pissed me off. So I´ll admit it. We were scammed a little. I mean the island was cool and all but overall we left feeling exploited.

So yeah. Traveling is not always easy. Lately morale has been low. First there´s the altitude sickness, which kind of feels like having the flu and being hungover at the same time, and it´s only going to get worse from here. Then there´s the fact that for two weeks we have literally spend every second of everyday together. I think that might be getting to us a little as well. And then another huge thing that wears you down is the constant paranoia that you have to have when traveling. You have to live every second of every day thining that everyone is about to scam you or pcikpocket you. It´s kind of stressful after a while. We´re not in the best areas right now. Same things every day. Lock the doors when you get in a taxi, keep track of your bags, dont get lost, and if you are dont act lost, be careful when you ask for directions, when someone gives you change check to make sure the bills arent fake, beware of people pretending to be police officers, be careful about falling asleep on the bus, dont take cash out in public, dont walk around holding your camera, be careful who you speak English around, triple check that you locked the hostel door, dont talk to anyone in bus stations, just overall dont trust anyone. Ever. It´s kind of tiring. But that´s really the only thing I have to complain about. Believe me, it´s all worth it.

Tomorrow we set off for La Paz, Bolivia. Time is flying. I´ll be home in two weeks.

-Christina

No comments: